Welcome to Mr. Hook's Spanish and ESL Classes
A little about me
While I am a native Texan, my family moved to Chile when I was in the second grade. We lived there for about seven years and returned to the United States after I finished the eighth grade. When I graduated from high school right here in Canton over twenty-five years ago, I chose to stay in Texas for college, but my parents moved back to Chile and lived in Chile for a total of about 27 years. Needless to say, Chile is still as much "home" to me as anywhere, and I like to return there as often as I can.
Seventeen years after graduating from high school here, when given the great opportunity to come back and teach Spanish, I didn't have to think on it long. Now, at the beginning of my eleventh year here, my family and I are thrilled. Speaking of my family, my wife and I have been married twenty-three years, and we have two children--a son who graduated last year and a daughter who is a sophomore.
I am looking forward to my classes this year and getting to know my students over the course of the school year. I am excited to be teaching ESL, Spanish 2, Spanish 3, and Spanish 4 this year. Below is a brief list of supplies needed, my basic expectations of all students in my classes, and some classroom rules that are obviously subject to reconsideration and amendment. Let's make this school year a great one together.
These items are required EVERY time you come to class.
- Pencil or Pen - BLACK or BLUE ink only
- Colored grading pen -- Any easily seen color EXCEPT RED or PINK !!!
- 1" or 1.5" 3-Ring Binder
- 3-Hole-Punched Spiral or Composition Notebook
- I expect students to be courteous at all times to all members of or visitors to the class.
- I expect students to come to class prepared, to be seated on time, and to be cooperative.
- I expect students to respect each other's freedom to learn and their teacher's freedom to teach.
- Listen and follow directions.
- Participate in classroom activities, and always give your best effort.
- Don't make excuses. Own your mistakes and learn from them.
- Raise your hand if you need to speak during lesson/lecture time.
- Respect your classmates and your teacher.
- Keep your hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
- Obtain permission from your teacher if you need to leave the classroom.
- Do not curse or use bad language.
- Obtain permission from your teacher prior to using cell phones or other personal electronic devices. Cell phones or other personal electronic devices may ONLY be used for academic educational purposes.
Parents and Students:
Please subscribe to your (or your student's) respective class.
- Select the correct class from the list to the left.
- Click the "+ Subscribe" button in the upper right hand area of the class page.
- Fill in the required fields.
- Click the "Subscribe" button.
Subscribing will help you stay informed.